Monday, May 17, 2010

Spain...I think so.

Minneapolis a Boston.  Boston a London. London a Madrid. Madrid a Cuenca.  

Cuenca, España; my home for the next four weeks.  This long, seemly never ending journey landed us in the serene, rolling hills of central Spain.  A city not well-known to the average American, yet suffocating the mind and eyes with absolute beauty; the cannon walls hugging our wandering bodies with a tight comforting grip.

Two weeks prior: 
    "Abby, It's Ed, the art teacher at Northeastern.  How would you like to go to Spain?"
    Watching my ham, broccoli, onion and cheese omelet sizzle, while standing in the egg line at Colgate University, my jaw dropped.  Of course I would LOVE to go to Spain, but what about all my summer plans?  What about Beth?  My family?  Spain?
    "Umm, wow what an opportunity! Could I have a few days to discuss my options?" I replied hurriedly.
    "I need to know by tomorrow."

So, after several tears, smiles, swirling thoughts, fears and butterflies, I began mentally preparing for my five week adventure in Spain.  Two weeks to prepare. Five weeks to experiment with art, explore the vast hills and practice this language I love so much. 

This will begin a new series in my life.  One as an artist, mountain climber, "native" speaker.  Stay tuned for my adventures, ideas, and of course all of my realizations about this lovely life we live.
        

No comments:

Post a Comment