Thursday, May 27, 2010

An artist becoming an artist.

I have never been defined as an artist.  I have never used the word artist to describe myself.  Of course I believe I am artistic in an abstract sense; painting images in my mind, sometimes etching through words, the tips of my fingers drawing noises on the piano.

But when people hear the word artist, most often times they think of a painter, literally using water color or acrylics to cover a canvas, or metal or weld together a sculpture.

In Spain, this literal kind of art is exactly what I came here to do.  I am receiving two art credits to create.  Create whatever I want.  As easy as it seems, I have realized a few things since I have been here:

1. Art is not an easy major.
2. Art hurts your brain.
3. Art takes more concentration and determination than almost anything ever attempted by me.
4. Art can be fun.
5. Art gives back a sense of satisfaction.
6. Art is a way to express when there are no words or actions to use.
7. Art and it's importance could go on and on and on.
8. I am making an eight because anyone who knows me knows I HATE odd numbers.

Moving on... The point of this post is that I have learned so much in just the two weeks I have been here.  And these lessons I have learned are not necessarily making me a better artist but a more patient and well -rounded person.

This side of my brain has never been worked so hard and it's gratifying!

No comments:

Post a Comment