Wednesday, May 19, 2010

On a hike.

This morning I awoke, or I suppose one would say was pried out of bed at 7:20 a.m.  I have tried to get up at 7:20 a.m. everyday this week to go on a hike with my friend Matthew.  This morning he was not letting me get out of it and I THANK him for that.

Every night we sleep, nestled between the looming landscapes that lie above and below us.  There are rivers filled with limestone, which turn the water a pastel green, flowing below us and boulders and cliffs hanging off the mountain above us, like piano keys.  At the tallest peak in Cuenca stands Jesus watching over the bustling streets below.

This morning, Matt and I went on a hike.  Jogging, running and fast walking our way up the mountain in a mere 28 minutes.  At the top we both sat in silence, our eyes dancing back and forth at the fascinating beauty surrounding us.  Looking up, only to see Jesus staring right back at us.

Standing on top of this mountain was peaceful.  Seeing the contrast between a bustling city popping with bright colors, built into a mountain with greens and browns.  Vegetation and wild flowers.

Cuenca, a city built within the hills is a hikers city.  Up and down, up and down, up and down.  To school and back.  To the grocery store and back.  To Jesus and back.

1 comment:

  1. Abby - I am so proud of you.. yet again! This sounds amazing - congrats on the opportunity. Make the most of it and come back with fantastic stories! Can't wait to see you... :-)

    ReplyDelete