Sunday, February 3, 2013

A thought from the confused 23 year old...

23 is such an interesting age.  I suppose the early 20's in general is.  I'm turning 24 in three weeks and I have a feeling my thoughts and feelings will be relatively similar, accept I'm turning my favorite number, my golden number.

As a person in their early 20's I've found life to be utterly confusing.  I know it's probably only as confusing as you make it and when you analyze everything like myself... well. But, I do think, in general, it's a challenging time in life.  It's like all of a sudden you are thrown off this life boat with no flotation device and told to swim and to keep swimming until you find some land or something stable to stand on.

Our whole lives we grow up with an agenda.  It is a lose agenda for some but, for a lot of people, I know we have always been following this plan.  We begin to build our foundation in elementary school, stumble through our awkward "think we're adults," to cool for school, middle school years and then onto the top to prove to everyone we are the best.  After high school, many of the people I grew up with, myself included, knew we were going to go to college.  For me, it wasn't an option.  After college though, what should one do?  Get a job?  Go back to school? Move home or move in with the person they're dating?  When does one get married?  How do you know they are the one?  Can I go out on a Thursday, or will I be suffering at work on Friday?  Is this job really for me?  What if I never find anyone?  What am I doing?  Where do I want to live? Is it really this impossible to meet new people, or do I have something on my face? Should I move to a new city like all my friends have?

After college, we are cut from our structured society and forced to fend for ourselves.  But, how does one do that when they are unsure of what they want, who they want, when they want it?

Those are questions I think about a lot. I also know, however, that there is no complete answer to them.  As Emerson said, "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."  We are all following our own desires and carving out our own stories.

I have discovered though, that break-ups hurt a lot more when you're finished with your structured agenda, sleep becomes more necessary, and finding happiness in the little things is almost essential to everyday breath.

I have also uncovered a few other lessons this past year including but not limited to: love is going to come to you when you least expect it through friendships, family and perhaps even "the one".  If you're living your life others are going to want to join in and will be drawn to your personality.  "Life is so damn short.  For f$%k sake. Just do what makes you HAPPY."  Finding a passion brings your soul alive.  Listen to your heart because it's usually right.  And listen to those around you because often times they are teaching you a lesson. If you're unhappy change something, it's never too late.  Smile, even when you're sad.  Be proud of who you are and who you are becoming.  Never stop learning, questioning.  Love yourself because you can't fully love somebody else until you are happy with YOU.  Give 100% at everything you do. And LEARN TO LET GO.. because liberating yourself is usually the first step in experiencing true happiness.

Above all else.  Know you are not alone.  There are at least 24 other confused 20-something year-olds feeling at least 10 of the same emotions you are.

Glimpses of pure happiness this week.

Absolute Beauty.


Showing my students they CAN go to college. 


Pure Innocence. 


Keep your friends close. Real close. 

No comments:

Post a Comment