Monday, June 7, 2010

Artist's Statement

The exhibit is coming up on Friday! Yikes.


So little by little we are preparing.


Here is my artist's statement:




My name is Abby Wagner.  I am a twenty-one year old student, tenacious traveler and avid volunteer, studying international affairs and human services.  My ultimate goal is to be the CEO of a social enterprise company; creating alternative resources for people living on less than dollar a day. I am influenced in life by the anomalous experiences I have had through travel and the diverse complexity of cultures I have crossed.
            So you may be wondering, why am I here, making art?
I decided to participate on this study abroad experience to dive into a new part of my brain. To express my beliefs in new methods, aside from writing.  I have never painted, drawn or sculpted but the challenge and desire has always lingered. 
            My artwork is inspired by themes of peace and unity, as seen in the serene beauty of Cuenca.  Understanding how interconnected, and broken, yet beautiful the world is all at the same time.  In my mosaic I hope to portray the uniqueness of many peoples having a piece of the world, a fingertip that leaves a dent in some way or another.  How each person views the world is entirely different, nonetheless we come together, tiny pieces, molding to form one versatile society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment